- ½ tsp fennel seed
- 2 tbs sugar
- 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tbs sesame seeds
- ¾ tsp kosher salt
- 1 stick unsalted butter (very cold)
- 4 tbs ice water
- 1-2 tbs cream to brush on crust
- Sesame seeds to sprinkle
- Demerara sugar to sprinkle
- 2 cups pitted cherries
- 1 lemon, zested and half juiced
- 1 tbs all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- ½ orange zested
- Start with the crust. In a food processor add the fennel seed and sugar and blitz until it starts to come together. Add in the ap flour, sesame seeds, kosher salt and blitz. Add in your stick of butter (I like to cut it up) into the processor until the flour looks sandy in texture. Add in 4 tbs of ice-cold water and give it a quick blitz.
- Lay down some plastic wrap and pour the dough onto the plastic wrap. Start bringing the dough together. Pack together and place in the fridge for at least 1 hour.
- When the dough is chilled, remove from the fridge around 20 minutes before you roll it out and make the filling. In a large bowl, add the cherries, flour, lemon zest, lemon juice, orange zest and granulated sugar. Mix until combined and set aside while you roll out the dough.
- Preheat the oven to 375 F. I like to roll out the dough directly onto a silk pad or parchment paper. When the dough is 1/2 inch thick, spread the cherry mixture on the inside and fold over the edges. Brush the edges with the cream and sprinkle over sesame seeds and demerara sugar all over the edges. Place in the pre-heated oven and bake for around 45 minutes until golden and bubbly. Serve as is or add whipping cream or ice cream – enjoy!