With school in full swing, we could all use some simple delicious recipes to get us through the week…especially one as saucy and cozy as this.
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 2 big carrots, diced
- 3 celery stalks, diced
- 4 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
- 1/3 cup tomato paste
- 1 cup red wine
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1-28 oz San Marzano tomatoes, crushed
- 1 cup of water
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 500g bag of Tortiglioni
- Freshly grated parmesan to finish
- In a medium-large Dutch oven, heat up the evoo and add in the carrots, onion, and celery. Season with salt and pepper and on medium heat sauté until the onions are translucent and lightly golden around 10 minutes.
- Add in the ground beef and season again with salt and cracked black pepper. Break the meat into the sauteed veg and let sauté on medium/medium high heat until browned and caramelized in some places, around 10-15 minutes.
- Add in the tomato paste and garlic and sauté for a couple minutes and then add in the red wine and let cook down for a couple minutes. Pour in the crushed tomatoes and water and stir to combine. Bring to a boil and cover with a lid, turn down to a simmer for around 20-25 minutes. Stirring it a couple times, so it doesn't stick.
- While the sauce is simmering bring a large pot of water to boil and season generously with kosher salt.When the sauce is ready, add the noodles into the boiling water and cook to al dente. When they still have a bite to them, add the noodles directly to the sauce. Give it a good mix and then plate. Shave over parmesan and serve.