- 1 can chickpeas - drained and rinsed
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil plus more to finish
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- A variety of heirloom tomatoes - sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 1/4 red onion thinly sliced
- 1 cup cilantro - stems and leaves roughly chopped
- 1 lemon juiced
- Sea salt to finish
Tadka (tempered spices)
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 tsp mustard seeds
- 1/4 tsp cumin seeds
- 1/4 tsp fennel seeds
- 1 garlic clove - sliced
- In a large pan heat up 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive and add in the chickpeas. Sprinkle in the ground cumin and a tsp kosher salt. Sauté for 5-7 minutes until crispy and golden. Remove to the side until ready to use.
- Slice the tomatoes, red onions and roughly chop the cilantro.
- Arrange the tomatoes on a plate. Sprinkle over the crispy chickpeas, red onion and then make the tadka.
- Heat two tablespoons olive oil in a pan, once hot add in mustard seeds, fennel seeds, cumin seeds and sliced garlic. Let toast for a couple seconds. When the garlic is lightly golden, remove from the stove and pour over the tomatoes, chickpeas and onion. Sprinkle over the cilantro, lemon juice and finish with more olive oil and a generous sprinkling of sea salt. Enjoy!