Just look at these eggs! HOW BEAUTIFUL!
I was eating at Ivan Ramen (one of my fave ramen spots in NYC) not too long ago and had the pleasure of learning from the master himself, how to perfectly prepare these gooey bites of sunshine- It is all done in less than 10 minutes. Keep reading…the recipe is at the bottom.
Preserved lemons are everything. I discovered them years ago and can find any excuse to use them in my cooking. They have an intensely lemony flavor that always brightens a dish with it’s tanginess. I always want to showcase the flavor and a bulgar salad works perfectly as a base.
Bulgar is a cracked wheat that you see a lot in Middle Eastern cooking. It is so nutty with a light, fluffy texture that holds moister well, in this case the olive oil, preserved lemon and lemon juice. I also added in farro for another textural element plus it just so happens to be great for you, high in fiber, calcium and protein, this whole grain is getting lots of attention. This dish is a great lunch but can also be served with another salad or side dish for dinner.
- ½ cup farro
- ½ cup bulgar
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped preserved lemon- rinse it before you use it and only chop up the skin.
- 1 lemon juiced
- ¼ -1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- ¼ cup pistachio, crushed-plus some for garnish
- 2 eggs- room temperature
- fresh mint
1. In a pot place the bulgar with 1 cup of water. Bring to a boil, cover and then turn to a simmer. Let cook for 15 minutes until it is light and fluffy and the water has all evaporated. Place the cooked bulgar in a big bowl and set to the side. Rinse out the pot and in the same pot place in the farro with 1 ½ cups of water. Bring to a boil and cover, turn down to a simmer and let cook for 25 minutes. When it’s cooked strain off the excess water and place in the bowl with the bulgar. Add in the olive oil, lemon juice, salt, preserved lemons and pistachios. Mix and check for seasoning. It should be moist and tangy. If it needs more olive oil and lemon juice, go for it.
2. 6 minute eggs – Set a large bowl of water on the counter and fill up with ice. In the same pot you cooked the farro and bulgar in fill up with water 3/4 way up. Bring to a boil. When it is boiling add in the eggs. Cover and set your timer to 6 minutes. When the time is up immediately remove the eggs and set into the ice water. Keep in the ice water for at least 3 minutes. Peel the eggs.
3. In a nice bowl place a couple large spoonfuls of the bulgar and farro salad. Slice the eggs gently (the yolk is very runny) and place on top. Sprinkle with kosher salt and a little freshly ground black pepper. Sprinkle with the rest of the crushed pistachios, garnish with the fresh mint and drizzle with a nice amount of olive oil. Serve.