I am really excited about this recipe. I used some of my favorite ingredients and I feel like it really captures what a classic dish looks like on my dinner table. Harissa, honey, pine nuts, cumin, fresh herbs and yogurt are just a few of my staples and they just so happen to partner beautifully together.
When I roast a veg, I roast it on high to caramelize well and almost burn a little on the edges. I LOVE the burnt edges; it adds a little smokiness, with an intense caramelized slightly bitter flavor. I covered these carrots with harissa, honey and cumin which adds a spicy, sweet element to them. The yogurt cools everything down and the herbs give the dish a brightness that is so addicting.
To add an extra pop I would add a drizzle of pomegranate molasses or a little more honey and some freshly grated lemon zest over the top.
- 8-10 thin carrots- peeled
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 2 tsp harissa
- 1 tsp cumin
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- ½ cup greek yogurt or labaneh
- ¼ cup toasted pine nuts- can also use almonds, pistachios etc
- 1 lemon zested
- 1 small handful of fresh cilantro
- 1 small handful of fresh parsley
- finishing salt
1. Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F.
2. In a roasted pan place the carrots with the harissa, olive oil, honey, cumin salt and pepper. Place into the oven for 20-25 minutes and roast until golden and slightly burnt on the edges. Remove from the oven and plate.
3. Spread a nice amount of the yogurt on the bottom and gently lay on the warm carrots. Sprinkle over the toasted pine nuts and grate over the lemon zest. Place a handful of the fresh herbs on top and drizzle with some olive oil. Finish with a sprinkle of finishing salt and serve.