- 2 cups ap flour
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1 ¾ sticks (good quality) unsalted butter- room temp but cut into small pieces
- 1 tsp orange zest
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp lemon zest
Citrus Sugar for the top
- 2 tsp granulated sugar
- ¼ tsp orange zest
- ¼ tsp lemon zest
- Pinch of Maldon
- Pre-heat your oven to 350 degrees F. Line a 9x9 square baking pan with parchment and set to the side.
- Place the ap flour, sugar, lemon and orange zest, vanilla extract and salt in a food processor and give it a couple blitzes. Add in the butter and give it a couple pulses until it looks like sand and comes together when you squeeze it. If it’s too crumbly, pulse it a couple more times. Remove from the food processor and place in your 9x9 baking pan.
- Press into the mold, and using a fork dock the cookies.
- Make the zest sugar for the top. Place the zest and sugar in a bowl and toss the zest through the sugar, rubbing it through your fingers to release the oils. Sprinkle it on top of your shortbread and place in the preheated oven for around 25-30 minutes until the edges are lightly brown. Remove from the oven and sprinkle over a pinch of Maldon for an extra pop and let cool completely.
- Once cooled, remove from the tin and slice into 1-inch thick pieces. Enjoy!