I love this dish! SO easy and a real crowd-pleaser. It really is all about assembly and great quality produce. I got together again with Quinn Cooper Style and we were so inspired by this beautiful weather that we wanted to make dishes that were flavorful, light, bright and had a little decadence (keeping it sexy people!). The beets are so meaty and satisfying you could even prepare this dish with a side salad and keep it strictly vegetarian. For a lighter option, substitute the creme fraiche with a low-fat Greek yogurt. Both ways are seriously delicious!
- 4 yellow beets
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup creme fraiche (you can substitute with greek yogurt)
- 1/2 cup toasted hazelnuts, skins removed.
- 1 lemon, zested
- 2 tsp fresh lemon juice
- salt to tast
- 1 garlic, grated
1. Preheat the oven to 350 dregrees f
2. Wrap each beet in tin foil and place in the oven for 30 minutes until a knife runs through it easily.
3. Remove from the oven, let cool a bit and then peel the skin off. (I use paper towel…it wipes it clean and gives me a good grip), then cut the beets into 1/4 inch slices.
4. In a bowl mix the creme fraiche with the grated garlic, lemon zest, 1 tablespoon olive oil, 1 tsp fresh lemon juice and season with salt to taste. Keep in the fridge until ready to serve.
5. In a wide serving bowl arrange the beets in a pretty way drizzle the beets with the remaining olive oil and squeeze some fresh lemon juice on top of them as well. season with a little salt, place a nice dollop of the creme fraiche in the middle of the beets. Scatter the toasted hazelnuts and fresh basil all over.