It’s always fun making childhood classics in your own kitchen. This homemade Strawberry Pop Tart recipe is kind of the perfect and easy way to whip up a dessert that makes everyone feel like a kid again.
The St Dalfour jam is just so good, it really takes this recipe from good to great.
Makes 6 TARTS
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 1/2 sticks cold unsalted butter- cubed
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1 1/2 tablespoons granultated sugar
- 1 lemon zested
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup plus 1-2 tablespoons ice water
- St Dalfour strawberry jam
- Heavy cream for brushing the tops
1. Put the all purpose flour, salt, and sugar in a food processor. Pulse a couple times to to combine. Add in the butter and pulse until the butter is evenly incorporated. It will become lightly yellow and have a sandy texture. Add in the lemon zest, vanilla extract and 1/4 cup ice water. Pulse until it starts to come together. If it doesn’t come together after a couple pulses, add in a tablespoon of ice water at a time until it does. Once it starts to come together, remove from the food processor and place in plastic wrap. Wrap tightly and put in the fridge for at least 1 hour. I usually make this the day before I use it.
2. Pre-heat the oven to 350 degrees F.
3. Remove from the fridge and roll out using a rolling pin. Roll out to 1/4 inch thick. Cut out 12 even rectangles.
4. Place around 1 tablespoon of jam in the middle of 6 pieces. Brush water around the edges of the dough with the jam on it and place the piece of dough with no jam over it. Press down around the jam closing up the dough. Using a knife, trim around the edges making it even all over. With a fork, crimp the edges evenly. Using a sharp knife lightly score the top of the tart. If you don’t get 6 tarts the first time you roll out the dough, save the scraps, press together and roll out again. I would only do this once more, since overworking the dough can make it tough.
5. Brush cream all over the top and place in the pre-heated oven for around 15-20 minutes until lightly golden. Remove from the oven and let cool.
6. Make the glaze while it cools. Once cooled place around 2 tsp of glaze in the middle of the tart. Using a small spatula or spoon, lightly spread the glaze over the top of the strawberry pop tart. Enjoy!
- 1 cup icing sugar- sifted
- 2 tsp fresh strawberry puree- around 3 fresh strawberries blended very well
- 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tsp heavy cream
- pinch sea or kosher salt
In a bowl mix the icing sugar, cream, strawberry puree, vanilla extract and salt. Mix until very smooth.