Sometimes…buying already-made products in store can be a little scary… so much sugar…so much salt…we do not even realize it but we are consuming tons!! (not like I am obsessed but I eat out all the time and when I eat at home…I like to be in control (or at least try to be)…right?!?)
I love making my own granola. IT IS SO EASY!!! There is no excuse to not do this!
The combination of maple syrup and coconut oil rocks. You will see…it gives the granola a sweet aroma and helps the oats toast up perfectly.
You can add whatever goodies into this granola as you would like. I used sour cherries and almonds in this recipe but you can also add in-sesame seeds, chia seeds, flax seeds, raisins, dates, apricots, currants, coconut, pecans, walnuts…etc…make it your own!
- 3 cups of oats (can use GF oats)
- 3 tablespoons unrefined coconut oil
- 3/4 cup pure maple syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- pinch of salt
- 1/3 cup dried cherries
- 1/2 cup lightly toasted sliced almonds
- Pre-heat the oven to 300 d F
- In a bowl, place the oats, maple syrup, coconut oil, cinnamon, vanilla and salt. Mix together and spread out on a lined baking tray. Place in the oven and let bake for 10 minutes, stir the oats on the tray and place back in the oven. Bake for another 10 minutes and stir. When the granola is all golden around 30-35 minutes, remove from the oven and let cool completely. Mix in the almonds and the cherries and store in an air tight container.