recipe makes 2 sandwiches
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 4 pieces of sourdough or white pullman (or whatever bread you have on hand…it is totally up to you)
- Sharp white cheddar cheese- can also use fontina or gruyere
- Pure maple syrup
- In a bowl mix the eggs with the cream, cinnamon and vanilla.
- Heat up a cast iron pan on medium heat with 1 tablespoon of unsalted butter in it. Take the bread and dunk one side into the egg mixture, then place the coated side into the hot pan. Let the one side get golden and crisp around 1-2 minutes, then flip over and let the other side get golden and toasted, remove when it is done, wipe down the pan and then repeat with the rest of the slices. Only one side of each piece should have the french toast crust on it.
- When all the pieces are done assemble a sandwich, french toast crust facing out and place back in the pan. Take a heavy pan and lay it on top, then lay a kettle or something heavy on top of that. You want the outside to stay crunchy and the inside to remain fluffy and cheesy. Let toast like this for a couple of minutes and then flip over. When both sides are golden and the cheese is all melted remove from the pan, cut in half or into quarters and drizzle a little pure maple syrup, eat immediately.