- 1 1/4 cups ap flour
- 1/3 cup almond flour
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp clove
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 cup of packed grated apple - around 1 1/2 apples, peeled, grated and juice squeezed out
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1/3 cup sour cream or yogurt
- 1/2 cup shaved almonds
- 1/3 cup honey
- 1/3 cup water
- 1 black tea bag
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees f.
- Butter a loaf tin and sprinkle in around 1/4 cup of the shaved almonds, trying to cover as much of the inside as possible. Set aside and assemble the cake.
- In a medium bowl pour in the all-purpose flour, ground almonds, cinnamon, clove, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Using a whisk, mix to combine and keep to the side.
- Peel the apples and grate on a medium grate size. Squeeze out all the juice and place the squeezed out grated apple in the bowl. Add in the eggs, vanilla, olive oil, honey and sour cream. Mix together, and in stages add in the dry ingredients.
- Once combined pour into the almond lined tin. Sprinkle over the rest of the shaved almonds and place in the oven. Bake at 350 for 45-55 minutes until the center is set. If it starts getting too dark, cover with tin foil until the center is set.
- While the cake is baking make the honey syrup. In a pan place the water and the honey. Bring to a boil and when the honey melts, add in the tea bag and let steep.
- Once the cake is baked, remove from the oven and pour over the syrup. Let cool and serve. Happy Rosh Hashanah!