- 3 large eggplants
- kosher salt
- 2 cups corn starch for coating
- 4-6 cups neutral oil - I used avocado here but you can use grapeseed, veggie oil, canola…
- 1 handful of fresh rosemary - can also use sage, thyme or oregano
- sea salt
- Peel the eggplant and slice in whichever way you want. I cut mine into ½ inch thick fries, but you can also keep in steaks and fry up steaky pieces of eggplant. Arrange the eggplant on a sheet tray and sprinkle generously with kosher salt. Let it sit with the salt on top for 20 minutes.
- Using a kitchen towel, pat the eggplant dry. Place the eggplant into a bowl and cover generously with the corn starch. Coat the eggplant-this is what gives the eggplant that beautiful crunch.
- Heat your oil up in a pot to 375 degrees f. You know it is ready when you put a piece of eggplant in and it immediately bubbles like crazy. Carefully place the eggplant in pot (don’t overcrowd because that brings the temp of the oil down) and fry until golden all over. You want color on these babies.
- Remove once crispy and place on a paper towel lined sheet tray. When the eggplant is fried up, toss your fresh rosemary into the pot and only let it fry for a second or two and remove immediately. The herbs can burn quickly so do this fast. Place the herbs on the paper towel.
- Plate the eggplant and the rosemary in a beautiful bowl. Drizzle over honey and finish with lots of sea salt. Serve immediately.