- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large yellow onion - finely diced
- 5 celery stalks plus leaves - small chop
- 5 carrots - small chop
- 3 large garlic cloves- finely chopped
- 1 parm rind
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/2 bunch of kale - small chop
- 28 oz can San Marzano tomatoes - crushed
- 1-14 ounce can of chickpeas, washed and drained
- Salt and cracked black pepper
- Heat a large stock pot up on the stove. Add in the extra virgin olive oil, onions, celery, and carrots. Season well with kosher salt and cracked black pepper. Sauté for 5-10 minutes until the onions become translucent.
- Add in the bay leaves and garlic and sauté for a minute to cook the garlic a bit. Add in the San Marzano tomatoes and using the same can, fill it up 2 1/2 times to fill in the rest of the pot with water or veggie stock if you have. Add in the parmesan rind and the kale and bring to a boil. Cover with a lid and turn down the heat to a medium simmer and simmer for 35-45 minutes.
- Check for seasoning and serve up. Finish with a generous amount of freshly grated parm and cracked black pepper.