When Athena Calderone and I met, it was like catching up with a friend I’ve known my whole life. An instant love that blossomed over our appreciation of great friends, close family and a shared obsession with putting olive oil, lemon and fresh herbs on anything and everything. I mean, LOVE. HER.
Athena is her name — a babely goddess of wisdom, inspiration and art (and more specifically in our Athena’s case, of finding and sharing gorgeous art, fashion, creative interior design and foodie ideas.) A native New Yorker, Calderone studied at Parson’s School of Design before starting her company, Athena Calderone Design and later co-found the majorly successful Rawlins Calderone Design, which she continues today, while sharing beautiful recipes and sumptuous decor finds on her extremely popular blog, Eye-Swoon.
But to me, Athena is even so much more than that…a secret lover of Nashville and a belly rolling queen.
Check out 18 facts about this babe, that I am SURE you didn’t know…so read on.
- My favorite food memory from growing up is classic Italian Sunday family dinners. Pasta, red sauce, ricotta, meatballs — always.
- If I had an entire day totally free, I would eat breakfast, lunch and dinner at my three favorite spots (Estela, Cafe Clover, and Dell’anima). Perhaps a gallery visit in between. Basically wandering about the city with no plans or agenda besides great food and exploration.
- I’m currently swooning over contemporary artist, Mary Weatherford’s paintings with neon light.
- My favorite midnight snack is a buttery toasted English
muffin with Maldon sea salt.
- My guilty pleasure is cheese doodles!
- When I watch TV, I like to pig out on dark chocolate covered pretzel thins, which are a current obsession.
- I secretly love Nashville, but Homeland is probably at the top of my TV-watching list.
- My food fantasy is to create a meal with some of the top chefs from around the world.
- Brooklyn takes the cake as far as the “city” with the best street food. The food trucks here. Specifically at the Brooklyn Smorgasburg, which is a favorite Sunday past time for me and my family.
- Love to sing, hate karaoke.
- I’m very inspired by Beth Kirby’s feed, @Local_Milk.
- My biggest fear is creating a less than stellar meal (hehehe)
- I can roll my belly.
- Luck, fate, or perseverance: perseverance coupled with passion & intention.
- I like watching surf competitions on YouTube with my son.
- I’m addicted to any and every rustic fruit tart.
- The first job I’ve ever had was at a jean outlet in a strip mall.
- My first crush was Johnny Depp.